Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Four Horsemen

There's few things in life that are certain but change is one of them.

Life is, no uncertain terms, a series of ongoing changes as mind, body and circumstances evolve and shape what path we take.

This weekend, with my lovely girlfriend away, I made the calls to my longest term friends for a weekend of videogaming, tea and the like.

There are few times in my life are more magical than the rolling summer of 1997 which, in an era before responsibilities, was a glorious haze of all things awesome spent with my good friends Baker, Tran and Murray (to abbreviate).

As the years rolled in from that fateful date we found ourselves scattered apart but, through ever advancing digital mediums, still in daily contact and more importantly still able to take the time to hang out.

This weekend was the first time that all four of us have had the chance to all be at one spot for a while and it was, without doubt, one of the funniest evenings I've had in a very long time.

The differences?

We're older and we have slightly more responsibilities but that's a given like the changing of the seasons or the turning tide.

The point?

That I find it life affirming that the three best friends that I have (and one who's on the other side of the world) are still able to drink tea, talk shit and play videogames and probably will for a very long time.

It's been twenty years we've been doing this for and I look forward to growing old, drinking even more tea and facing whatever happens safe in the knowledge that my back is covered by some of the greatest human beings I've ever known.

Take care
Ben


No comments: