Monday 6 December 2010

Where idols once stood

It's not very often you get unique opportunities in life so I've learned that it's best to grab them with both hands when you do.

This Saturday I was given another amazing chance to commentate for Ultimate Challenge on Sky Sports 4. It's an awesome show and it's still surreal to be able to call fights featuring people I've been watching for a long time.

I was, in all honesty, quite nervous when I found out I'd be working with Ian "The Machine" Freeman simply because of what he'd accomplished. I'm proud of what I've been able to achieve so far and thank everyone who's helped me out but this was something different.

I was a bag of nerves when I got to the Troxy and didn't really know what to expect. I walked down the ramp and saw Rob standing by the cage with Ian to one side of him. As I walked in Ian turned round shook my hand and said "Great to meet you Ben, it'll be good to work together." I think I mumbled a thank you as I was both quite flattered and impressed at the same time, I hope I didn't come across as ignorant.

It was the perfect start to the evening as my nerves went and, when the fights began, I felt more comfortable and ready to commentate. I'm legitimately very excited to hear what our work sounded like and can honestly say that it was some the most fun and exciting commentary of my short career.

If you'd have told me that, when I started this crazy journey, that I'd be spending a Saturday night with Rob Nutley and Ian Freeman calling some fights featuring elite fighters it's hard to imagine what I would have said.

I don't know when it's going to stop, I hope it never does. In the mean time I'm going to keep writing and would like to say thanks to Rob Nutley, Ian Freeman, Dave O Donnell and everyone else who made Saturday night possible and an honour from start to finish.

Take Care
Ben Cartlidge

No comments: