Thursday 23 September 2010

Walking to Work and the Need to Write

Hey all,

Sorry if it's been a few days since I updated anything. I've been writing so much recently it's really made me appreciate how lucky I am to be able to get so much work published.

If you'd have asked me if I thought that this would be possible when I started this blog then I'd have probably laughed and logged back onto Warcraft. It's funny just how much has changed recently. I can't tell you how good it is to sit down and write with real purpose for a site like MMAHQ, to be editor is easily the greatest honour of my short writing career and I hope there's more to come real soon.

I was thinking at 'work' today about writing, and how much I'd give to be able to write full time and it hit me all at once. If everyone who thought like that, didn't do anything about it then everyone would walk around in 'jobs', waiting for the evenings so they could live their dreams, or even think about their dreams. I wondered how many people that you see walking along in the morning have the ability to do something life changing but are petrified to do anything about it?

I came to a conclusion today, it's not going to happen to me. I'm not going to hit a certain age and dread getting up, I want the commute to work to be a walk to the kettle. I want to sit somewhere warm, while the rain comes crashing down outside and write about what moves me to write. There's no reason I can't write full time long term, it's just about taking chances and rolling the dice.

Thanks to everyone who reads my work, thanks to everyone who has ever supported me or stuck their neck out for me and thank you for everyone who has given me a chance. I know who you are and so do you. I'd like to think that, if he were alive, my dad would be proud of how much I've taken after him and how much his love of writing plays a part in my every waking moment. I always respected how much he gave me, but the biggest gift is only really becoming apparent after he's gone, I guess that's irony.

One day in the future I'll re-read this and smile, safe in the knowledge that I gave it every single thing that I had.

Much love
Keep in touch
Ben

No comments: