Saturday 17 April 2010

Cold Fury II: I fought the law and the law won.

I made another video last night on my deathbed just as it was an idea I'd had since the fight happened and with Paul Ramos fighting for a title at the next event, I figured it would probably work well for the promotion.

You can't hear it in the commentary live as we said it on the walk in but when Paul Ramos walked in I remarked to Dave that he looked a lot like UFC veteran Matt "The Law" Lindland. He responded with some nice banter about "Well Ben, if he can show the us a similar wrestling prowess to Lindland his opponent might be in trouble." It's a shame that bit didn't make it in actually, I like listening to commentators bantering. Maybe it comes from favourite duo of Steven Quadros and Bas Rutten who's output was 90% banter and 10% excitable calling.

Ramos did well to get the takedown and it was clear his grappling was at a higher level than his opponent as he took side control to mount to back to rear naked choke. Then it came to me and I don't know why. I frantically looked for my paper to confirm the name of the defeated fighter so I didn't get it wrong. I steeled myself a tad and said:

"In many respects, Allen fought the law .... and the law won"


Maybe it was a bit too Bobby Heenan but your work is influenced by those you learned from. Somebody asked me the other day who my favourite commentators were and I'll be honest there's a lot but when I tried to put a list together I found there was a few pro wrestling commentators in there, just because I watched so much as a kid. Funny how that happens.

If you get chance to see the actual DVD on p4tv you'll see how much the camera view shows me and Dave in the commentary position and he proper corpses and starts laughing. That whole show was amazing to call and I can't wait for the next one which is only a few weeks away. Get yourself on www.GladiatorPromotions.co.uk for details.

Anyhow, enjoy watching the video there's going to be a lot more coming out so keep you keep checking here and I'll keep posting them up. Thanks for all the views and comments and I hope that you good people are all doing well.


No comments: